Lamb

Lamb

Monday, July 27, 2020

Early Summer At The Farm

Hello dear friends, here I am again after a long absence!  I hope everyone is staying safe and well.  My COVID-19 work schedule has changed somewhat and I now alternate days between home office and my office in the city.  Otherwise work keeps me busy and I dont have nearly as much time as I thought I would have to share pictures and stories with you.  So here are some random images.

I recently read an article about inaturalist in a magazine and downloaded the app on my phone.  As a "citizen scientist" I am able to take photos of animals, reptiles, plants, insects etc and upload them to the app.  Yesterday while mowing the lawn I nearly ran over this little creature.  When I returned with my phone I had quite a hard time finding it as it had moved to some debris and was almost impossible to spot.  I took pictures, uploaded them and learned that this is a Wood Frog.  What fun!  Try it!









It has been HOT!  The humidex this evening is still 37 degrees Celsius.  Very uncomfortable for us, the pets and the sheep.  It is however not to hot to have a glass of wine at the koi bar!





An early morning view towards the vegetable garden and greenhouse.  The vegetable garden is my husband's project.  Perhaps next year we will repair our greenhouse and be able to use it to start seedlings.





I cant remember what this old piece of machinery is supposed to be.  It doesnt look like it has any useful life left in it.  I do like this picture though!



This is a very big project for this year.  Lake Ophelia has been almost completely overgrown with bullrushes.  We estimate that the water in the middle of the pond is only about 6 feet deep.  I have asked a contractor to visit us at the farm to see if he can dredge the pond, expand it significantly! and then regrade the entire area.  Some of you may recall that Lake Ophelia is not actually a lake but a farm pond, and Ophelia was one of our yellow labs that enjoyed sneaking off for a quick little swim.  We named the pond after her.  Now that businesses are starting to re-open we are finding that many contractors are extremely busy and having trouble fitting in new business.  I really hope that we can have this project done before the winter.



We have been struggling with predators this year.  Coyotes have killed several of our lambs and even though we have miles' worth of electric fencing to protect the sheep coyotes can still find a way in.  To protect the sheep Abby the German Shepherd and I take a walk every evening to bring the sheep to the barn so we can lock them up.



A Green Frog visitor at our koi pond.  We feel that we dont have as many frogs this year as in previous years.  We suspect that the herons that visit Lake Ophelia are taking them along with the large goldfish that we have had for many years.  The price we pay for the herons is no frogs and no fish!




This sky looks painted.  For a brief period of time that evening we had an eerie red glow in the sky.



This is also a green frog spotted at Lake Ophelia.




This year we are trying to raise turkeys again.  We have raised them a few times over the years.  This is a heritage breed called Orlopp Bronze. These turkeys are housed in a rolling cage which gives them protection from the elements and (hopefully) predators while allowing them to be moved to fresh pasture each day.  We find these turkeys are more flavourful that the turkeys sold at the supermarket with a denser meat.  They also take much longer to cook!



The sideroad on the way to the highway.  I like to say it is the only good part of my commute to and from the city!



Henry has settled in very nicely.  Our neighbour however reports catching him looking in her windows.



Earlier this year we were surprised to find one of our Muskovy ducks sitting on a nest. Her first clutch of eggs didnt hatch but the second did.  Ducklings must be some of the cutest creatures on earth!





A view towards our kitchen deck.  The false weeping cypress in the foreground has made an astonishing recovery after we dug it up and replanted it in the same spot with lots of additional compost.  Last year we thought it was going to die but a quick consultation with the nursery convinced us to try replanting it in much amended soil and now it is much happier.





Our koi pond still has some cosmetic work to be done!  The stone wall needs to be finished and flagstone placed along the top of the wall.  This particular view looks rather resort-ish!



And here is our darling Willow.  She has had her 14th birthday and received a clean bill of health at a recent vet visit.  Such a sweet and kind old soul.  We are so happy that she is able to live out her days at the farm doing typical dog things like being comfortable on the furniture.

I hope you have enjoyed your visit!  Have a safe week!

No comments:

Post a Comment