Lamb

Lamb

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Life at the Farm


Hello dear friends,
These are trying times, are they not?  One cannot escape stories of the Corona virus -it is absolutely everywhere.  I am sure that we all have friends and family that are experiencing feelings of fear and anxiety, and we may be feeling fearful ourselves. Over the last week there have been many stories of grocery stores with empty shelves with people hoarding supplies.  On Saturday we traveled into town to arrange for the measuring of our kitchen counter tops (yes, we are making significant progress in the kitchen!!) and we were shocked to see that two of the major grocery stores had entire sections completely empty.  We picked up a few items and I noticed a lady at the next cash had loaded her cart with canned vegetables.

 I decided that I would take a little walk around the farm.  We have many signs of spring and I thought that this distraction would help to keep me focused.  

I love to garden.  I wish I could do nothing but garden!  It is so relaxing for me and I love the challenge of imaging an outcome and then painting it with plants.  Of course in reality I have a full time job in the city, and a long commute, and while I would like nothing better than to spend all day every day puttering in the garden the reality is each year my best intentions fall a wee bit flat.  Being a gardening spirit however means that every year is a new year to start over.

So I observed that tulips, daffodils and crocuses are popping up.  









Our chickens are enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.  Jerry The Rooster is in his element, preening and crowing in an effort to impress everyone.  






Chipmunks and other little rodents have been feasting on windfall apples.









We took a little stroll towards our pond.  We still have snow in the shady area by our forests.



Vole tracks!







Abby in an impatient puppy.  It takes too long to open the gate.  If we are not sure where the gate is Abby will point it out.






Lucy cant go anywhere without carrying a toy.  Some of the toys make a one way trip and need to be recovered later.  Our darling Willow was tired so she stayed in the house.  Willow will be turning 14 years old and is enjoying her old age at the farm.






More snow along the rear of the property.  This area has forest on 2 sides and is fenced off so that the sheep dont graze here.  Over the years we have lost several sheep to coyotes in this area of our property.




Lake Ophelia is still covered in ice.






We are starting to see signs of greening up in our pasture.







We have lots of mosses.  I must take some time to learn about the different types.








This oak always holds many of its' leaves through the winter, only losing them when new leaves start to bud in the spring.



The chickens are still out!




Everyone enjoys a virtual trip into the barn to check on the lambs.  This little lamb is 2 days old.










We believe this to be an oriole's nest which is quite exciting.  



Some honey buttermilk bread for sandwiches.  I really enjoy baking bread and have been working up some courage to try a sourdough starter.


The cats have spring fever.  Horatio is contemplating his domain.


Or perhaps he is just contemplating his new brother, Henry.


Dear friends, I had actually taken these photos on the weekend and started writing this post but didnt finish.  Now we are mid-week and the news around COVID-19 is completely dominating the news.  I feel fortunate that we have a farm in the country to provide some distance (physically and emotionally) from the anxiety that is gripping so many people in the city.  As with so many areas over the world store shelves are being emptied and other items are being rationed.  This is such a new experience for many of us.  

I hope this quick farm tour provides you with a few moments of distraction.  Wishing everyone a safe and healthy week and thank you for visiting.



1 comment: